Saturday, April 5, 2014

Nacho average nacho!

nacho average nacho!


I love cheese! I love avocado! I love salsa! I love nachos! However, as time goes by I have finally noticed I cannot just eat any and all I want these days and well as you know California is known for its healthy twist on fatty delicious comfort food! Nachos was not much of a task to turn into a healthy snack. Why, you ask well the healthy alternative to any carb... Zucchini! 

Want to make a healthy nacho alternative?! This is how I made zucchini nachos ~ 

Will need: 
Zucchini
Cheese of choice
Tomato
Jalapeno
Onions
Guacamole
Plus additional toppings: beans, meat, peppers, bacon, etc. 

Slice fresh zucchini at a diagonal - this makes the 'chips' longer, especially if you have tiny zucchini - and brush lightly with olive oil. Place each slice on the grill, grill on each side for about five minutes on high, giving the grilling marks to each slice of zucchini. Flip each slice over and add choice of cheese and let cheese melt.  



While zucchini is grilling this is a great time to chop up and get your toppings ready. Since nachos can get messy chopping your toppings finely will make them stay on top of each slice. Grab your chopping knife and get to work. I finely chopped up cilantro, tomato, peppers, and jalapenos. There is so many fun toppings you can add... beans (cooked my own black beans shown in pictures), chicken (shown in pictures too), steak, avocado, and plenty more.

Once cheese is melted, remove each slice of zucchini from grill with tongs onto serving plate. Grab toppings and sprinkle on top of platter of zucchini. 

This snack is very versatile... you can bake the zucchini and add cheese and even add the toppings and bake - that makes for sum warm fresh just-out-of-the-oven nachos! Add a splash of lime juice right before you take a bite and enjoy the flavors!! Yumm!!!


A healthy snack I can enjoy every day... okay every week! 



xoxo Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment