Friday, March 16, 2012

it's raw!

It's live and raw food, Oh My!

There is definitely a buzz around the US, that California is known for its health conscious ways. My adventures in Los Angeles are not just about amazing outings but include health & fitness and most importantly amazing food finds.

RAW food did not first explode in California, but many have adopted this way of eating. RAW is the unprocessed, uncooked and mainly organic diet. Consuming raw food will provide greater nutritional benefits than cooked processed food. Along with its great nutritional benefits, it is easier for your digestive system. I have found that after people do a health cleanse, it is easier for the body to begin back eating raw food than jumping back into their usual diet.


I tried going full blown fresh juice and raw, but lasted only a day and half. By the second day my body was craving meat, and I gave in. There are many types of RAW foodist and some stick to a 70/30 diet. Living in Los Angeles does inspire me to become a little more health conscious, but I could never let go of my meat and occasional 'junk' food. I could possibly try a 40/60 diet, the way I see it is that I am still getting those great nutritional benefits. While taking in what Los Angeles has to offer, I figured I might as well be somewhat health conscious too. Why not start with a yummy raw sweet treat, the raw brownie.

This may change your life (if you are a vegan) or may inspire you a bit (as me) or may just not be delicious to you (my brother). I was inspired to make raw brownies because I always love to have a treat after my dinner and decided I should go for a healthier choice.

Raw Brownie Ingredients
You will need:
2 1/2 cups of Dates (medjool dates)
1 cup raw Cacao (suggest powder)
2 cups of walnuts
1 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 tsp of Himalayan salt

In a processor add the walnuts and grind until finely ground. Then add the cacao and salt, blend again. (I could not find the powder cacao, so i used the nibs and just finely grounded them in the processor).
Mixture before Dates added
Dates added
Once the nuts, cacao and salt are mixed well  add one date at a time into the processor and blend. Keep adding dates until the mixture appears to be similar to cake crumbs and sticks together when pressed. I did not end up using all 2 1/2 cups, I believe I ended up using about .65lbs). Once mixture complete transfer into serving dish or your normal brownie baking pan. Mix in chopped almonds and form into the baking dish. Then place in fridge or freezer to set. Enjoy!


Optional: I ended up sprinkling the top of my brownies with salt, it contrasted with the cacao to make a delicious salty treat!

Raw Brownie does not taste like a brownie at all but has a cakey first bite then melts and is gooey just like a brownie! It will satisfy a chocolate craving for sure. Not only does this brownie have a unique taste, but it provides so much nutritional value! Cacao is one of the best sources of magnesium found and contains zinc, iron, sulfur, and potassium. Cacao contains many physical and mental enhancements including proteins, dopamine and much more. Cacao is pretty much a superfood! Walnuts rich in omega-3 which reduces cholesterol, lowers the risk of heart attack and strokes, and boost the immune system. Already WOW what amazing benefits from a chocolate treat!

After making the raw brownie, I'm excited to try other raw food recipes and will definitely share! Here is to keeping a healthy outlook & body and new fun recipes!








No comments:

Post a Comment