Thursday, June 23, 2016

It's my way trying... No-Grains Bread

It's my way trying...

Living in West Los Angeles many people try all the diet and health fads... some are amazing some are not so much. I have had the thought of going grain-free with my diet, or as much as I can. This week I experimented and took on the challenge of making paleo bread - I love toast, sandwiches, and garlic bread!

On my search for grain-free bread I came across a recipe made with raw cashew butter. (see recipe below).  My first hesitation was it called for coconut flour. Would it taste like coconut then? I went ahead and purchased all the ingredients needed for this grain-free bread at Whole Foods. I have to admit the cost of the raw cashew butter definitely set me back a pretty penny and as I grabbed the jar off the shelve I just hoped that the bread turns out well.

I used Artisana Organic Raw Cashew Bitter which is delicious. However, on the bright side this cashew butter has a little oil consistency so you do not need to add oil to the bread recipe. Guess that is a plus!

The batter rose and actually looked like a loaf of bread once baked. As I pulled the loaf out of the oven I cut a slice and added some unsalted butter. Results - delicious! You definitely taste the cashew butter but the texture its very similar to bread. I don't think I would make a sandwich out of the bread but I can definitely add some avocado :)

Ingredients:

1 cup of raw cashew butter
4 large eggs
1 spoonful of honey (recommend your local honey farmer's brand)
2 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of almond milk
1/4 cup of coconut milk ( I used regular not lite )
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of pink himalayan salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line your loaf pan with non-bleached parchment paper, makes for easy clean up!

Using a mixer, hand or stand, mix the cashew butter and 4 egg yolks. Once mixed add in the honey, apple cider vinegar and mix some more.

In a separate bowl, mix your egg whites. Mix for about 10 minutes or until the mixture forms peaks when you life the stirs out.

In another bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda and salt.

Mix in the dry ingredients until combines. Pour in the egg whites into the mixture and mix until combined.

Immediately pour mixture into loaf dish and place in over for about 45 - 50 minutes. Until a toothpick comes out clean. Don't peak at the bread loaf until 5 minutes before you are going to reove the bread, you'll want your loaf to rise properly. Also, it is suggested to put a dish with water in the oven while it cooks to provide steam in the oven.

Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes. Serve once loaf has cooled.

Loaf will last in the fridge for 1 week.

Go ahead and make some avocado toast, meat sandwich, jelly sandwich, or just go ahead and eat it by itself!

Next try will be with Almond Butter, yum!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment